In the case of a pastor who serves more than one church the elder's role is similar to that I of an assistant pastor.
1. Attend district meetings of church leaders to work with the pastor in developing a plan for the churches and companies in the district. This plan would include:
a. Becoming aware of the district pastor's itinerary,
b. Developing plans for visiting all members of the district,
c. Developing evangelism plans for each church in the district.
d. Laying plans for district mini camp meetings,
e. Attending leadership training seminars conducted by the pastor and the conference leadership.
f. Scheduling baptisms with the pastor,
g. Working with the pastor regarding the sermonic year for local congregations.
h. Scheduling time for church board meetings when the pastor can be present.
2. Lead out in church board meetings in the pastor's absence.
3. Lead out in planning for the weekly worship services.
4. Prepare sermons for the congregation on a regular basis.
5. Lead the elders, deacons, deaconesses and Sabbath school teachers in a regular visitation program for members, interests, and guests.
6. Support all departments of the local congregation.
7. Keep the pastor aware of the successes and needs of the local congregation.
8. Lead the church in a strong evangelism program by:
a. Modeling the principles of personal evangelism.
b. Conducting a baptismal class.
c. Conducting lay evangelism meetings from time to time.
d. Supporting and being involved in small group ministry.
e. Leading the church, where possible, in Global Mission activities to enter unentered areas.
f. Ensuring that the church nurtures new believers.
g. Helping to reclaim missing members.
h. Planning activities that will hold the youth in the church.
9. Work with deacons to make sure the church building and yard are kept in good condition.
10. Work with the church board and members to make sure your church's atmosphere is so filled with the love of God that new members and interests will feel welcome.
11. Attend all the meetings scheduled by the pastor and conference for the training of elders.
12. Give full support to the most important team in the church: the pastor-elder team.
13. Take steps each day to grow in close personal relationship with Jesus Christ; pray for the guidance and empowering of the Holy Spirit.
14. Be well acquainted with the Church Manual, Elder's Handbook, and Elder's Digest in order to be aware of your role as an elder.
15. Take steps to build up a basic library that will help in preparing meaningful sermons.
James H. Zachary, is an associate secretary of the Ministerial Association of the General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists.